Popular Posts

Sunday 11 July 2010

FRAUENFELD

Jesus H Christ.

That has got to be the most intense festival, more so than epic rain Glade 07!!
So hot. We're talking high 30s and not being able to walk in the sun let alone sit in it. Practically no shade, anywhere. 100,000 people, all of us dropping like flies, constantly seeing people collapsing and be carried off into paramedic tents due to dehydration and sun stroke. I thought I was OK, ensured I was drinking buckets and buckets of water but on Friday, come nightfall and just as Dizziee Rascal came on stage my legs completely went and I ended up being another casualty thanks to sun stroke. Horrid, horrid feeling; felt so weak and light headed, despite not eating hardly anything was violently sick and couldn't stop shaking :( I MISSED EMINEM! and that hurts more than anything. Seriously, what a fucking fail. Everything before and after the feeling sick ordeal was great and Hilltop Hoods were fucking UH-mazing and possibly the highlight. Anyways, shall tell you more about the festival itself in hope that you can get more of an idea about my weekend.

So Thursday night, did our Swiss yoga down by the lake. The guy's so sweet btw, because we're all students, he only charges us 5euros when really it should be 30 a pop. Bless him, have no idea what his name is but he's a real sweetie and keeps telling me he wants to live in India because "that's where the Earth's real energy is" and whenever the sun is setting he goes Ummmmmmmm (buddah noise) and says "yes, yes, feel the Indian sun" lol lobe him! Anyways, back to Frauenfeld. SO did youga, very nice, very realxing apart from there were these group of lads kicking a football about quite close to me and I swear I must have been smacked in the face by one in a past life or something because just the sound of it made me so nervous. Maybe because it was intefering with my chi? but chirst almighty, definitely have a sudden fear of football collision with face thing going on. Apart from that though, lovely yoga. After relaxation, meditation, stretch therapy, hopped a very full car with 3 sweaty boys in the back (Natty's boyfriend Mümi, and his two friends Pasci and Felix) and off we went! Got there about 11pm and were greeted by a massive scaffold with people raving on top of to the sound of Missy Elliot. It was so bizarre because to enter the festival site we had to walk under this rave which was a perfect replica of the American college parties you see on OC and Beverly Hills where they're all drinking beer out of plastic cups and cheering and daning on a rich persons balcony lol that's what it was like! Immedaite thing that concerned me was the fact that everyone around me looked about 17 and like they modelled their fashion sense on Julia Stiles in Save the last dance lol very 90s, very hip hop. My hippy trousers and flip flops looked wiccckkiid. All gravy getting into the site, no loosing of passes/ticekts etc and managed to find a nice camping spot and get set up quite quickly without any drama then off we went! to party party and get extremely drunk on cheap alcohol. Had a lot of fun that night and experiencd many a bizarre moment, greatest one being at about 6am when we were heading off to bed, walking past a full dance tent and the dj was blaring out the blood macarana! WTF. In switzerland at a supposed hip-hop festival, it's 6am, everyone is blind drunk and this massive, black dj is playing the fucking macarana?!? Most amusing thing was that everyone inside knew the proper dance moves and were all singing along. Turns out, bad 90s English music is quite internationally respected. Awesome.

Friday brought with it the Hell that was the weather. After going to bed about 6, we only managed about 4 hours sleep as by 10 o'clock inside we were absolutely roasting and our tents had turned into sweat pits. We all fell out, gasping, thinking fuuucck where is the shade, where's the sun cream, lord why have you done this? Thankfully, and this is what I love about international festivals as they are all usually centred around some form of water hole, there was a epic river on site that we all flocked to. Oh my god, Hell turned into Heaven and it was like something out of ancient Rome when all the Romans had communal baths lol thousands of teenagers and young folk bathing themselves in a river, drinking, smoking, some even doing bongs in it! We lay around, dipping and soaking in the water until the necessity of food kicked in and we returned to our campsite and ate weird things like wasabi crisps and sweetcorn out the tin. As I mentioned before, I did actually consciously try and make the effort to drink loads. You know I do anyway and am forever walking around with a water bottle in my bag but honestly could not have drunk enough water to save my life that day. I could have been a camel and had an actual hump on my back, still wouldn't have done the trick - there was no replenishing enough fluid lost as I found out that evening when watching Dizzie. Before that though, and this was easily the highlight, saw Hilltop Hoods perfrom who are this amazing aussie duo and sang hits such as Hard Road and Nosebleed Section. Look it up on youtube if you don't what I'm talking about, seriously awesome and so glad I saw them! So Friday day was a winner but the evening, not so much so. I was OK in the end as typically, just hadn't drunk enough and apparantly got all over excited at seeing Dizzie Rascal (really? he didn't even sound that great) OH forgot to mention, before HH saw D12 perform and have to say, really disappointed. Bit depressing actually and towards the end they got booed off stage. They just weren't selling it or enjoying themselves as it was painful to watch. So sad as I absolutely loved D12 back in the day and the only bit of their set that moved me was when they did a shout out and tribute to Bugz and Spoof (RIP) but the rest was just shocking unfortunately.

Still so upset I missed Eminem.. let's not talk about it. I could hear him playing when I was in the paramedic tent dealing with this doctor that didn't speak English and all me being able to manage "my deutsch ist nicht gut!" lol not great but all ok in the end. Lesson learnt, always drink water and never vodka. Moving on..

Saturday was fine, hot. Stupidly so and basically had a repeat of Friday if you just replace the acts I saw with a really weird Swiss one and Jay Z who did rock it, completely. Intended on meeting up with Jason and getting backstage passes but never actually happened and it's always a million times better seeing acts in the main ring rather than at the side or some high VIP area. Got a lovely bunch of texts off him though when he found out I'd been victim to sun stroke. Must send him email and thank him..

Ok so that was the weekend basically. We woke up this morning (Sunday) and couldn't endure another day of heat so packed our bags, used disgusting toilets once more and drove home. Got back about 2pm and I've been doing washing and showering a million times since. All good, just very tired and not looking forward to the prospect of looking fter a five year old for nine hours tomorrow. Nina's still in Manchester as her flight got cancelled due to there being something wrong with the plane or something so not going to see her again till Tuesday when we're meant to be going to Croatia on Wednesday! Might have to wait an extra day to give her a bit of time to pakc, sort her life out etc

I miss and love you all. Sev, i hope Amseterdam was fun, sure it was, and Whiz hope you enjoed Lounge. Got a lovely email from Beki telling me she was enjoying saving the world in Malaysia - good girl. You go worm those orpahns and send me a postcard. Hope everyone's OK, love love x

PS randomly decided what I want to name my 3 chiuahua's when I get them (yes mum, 3);

Igby
Buggsy
and Gizmo. Cute huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment